Los Angeles producer Calvin James today releases his latest effort as Rhythm Operator, the four-track Illuminate Your Soul EP. Appearing via the fledgling Axe on Wax label, the record presents three original tracks from James along with a remix by UK up-and-comer Liam Geddes. To spread word of the release, James has passed along EP cut "Mind Wave," which takes a methodical path to crafting a piano-rich slice of skipping house. Peppered with tasteful vocal samples and layers of hand percussion, "Mind Wave" lands itself on the jazzier and more subdued end of the club music spectrum. Out today, the rest of Rhythm Operator's Illuminate Your Soul EP can be previewed after the jump. Read more »
London label PMR—a platform for UK talents such as Disclosure, Jessie Ware, and Julio Bashmore—has announced the launch of a new sub-label, PMR Beat Club, and revealed details of its inaugural record. Read more »
In the build-up to Wonder Where We Land (his upcoming sophomore LP for Young Turks), SBTRKT has unleashed a steady stream of album cuts, last week sharing hip-hop-leaning tracks "Higher" and "Voices in My Head". Now, the London producer has unveiled "Look Away," a moody new tune which features Chairlift's Caroline Polachek. Read more »
Marreck is the work of UK sound artist Michael Hann who has also released under the name Rejections and is responsible for overseeing the fledgling Reject and Fade label. Under his Marreck alias, Hann will next week issue the Thirteen Losses EP, which is said to collect four pieces of "soundsystem brutalism" including "False Martyr," the record's closing cut. An uncompromising composition, "False Martyr" is the kind of track that sounds like it is content to just let the machines run wild. A brooding analog pulse leads the production, appearing loosely tide to a rhythmic pattern, though it is constantly the result of manipulation. On top of this, Hann eventually layers a piercing, siren-like sheet of noise which grows as the electronics below become more and more unhinged. "False Martyr" and three other tracks not for the faint of heart will see their official release on September 22, when Marreck's full Thirteen Losses EP drops via Bomb Shop.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player