Plastikman "Ask Yourself (214 Refix)"
Fortified Audio has a habit of releasing defining releases early in young artists' careers, prior to their assimilation into larger circuits and bigger crowds. With its first release of 2012, however, the imprint has taken a left turn and prepped the Plastic Spokes EP from Seattle veteran 214. "Ask Yourself (Refix)" is not on the forthcoming record, but makes its case known as a driving electro workout helmed from the cybotronic shards of the Plastikman classic. Bobbing and weaving through slowly enveloping, razor-sharp synths and buoyed by a tense stampede of 808 samples, the tune explodes during its final minute with a dive-bombing bassline that swallows the other elements whole. Showing a deft touch for balancing intricately programmed drums with robotic phrases and and sidewinding synths, it's 214's patience in busting the track open at the five-minute mark with that surging, restless bassline that really clicks this refix into high gear. Take a peek at the tracklisting and preview the Plastic Spokes EP, after the jump.
1. Here We Stand
2. Riding With Your Plastic Spokes
4. First Chair
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player