Plastikman "Ask Yourself (214 Refix)"
Fortified Audio has a habit of releasing defining releases early in young artists' careers, prior to their assimilation into larger circuits and bigger crowds. With its first release of 2012, however, the imprint has taken a left turn and prepped the Plastic Spokes EP from Seattle veteran 214. "Ask Yourself (Refix)" is not on the forthcoming record, but makes its case known as a driving electro workout helmed from the cybotronic shards of the Plastikman classic. Bobbing and weaving through slowly enveloping, razor-sharp synths and buoyed by a tense stampede of 808 samples, the tune explodes during its final minute with a dive-bombing bassline that swallows the other elements whole. Showing a deft touch for balancing intricately programmed drums with robotic phrases and and sidewinding synths, it's 214's patience in busting the track open at the five-minute mark with that surging, restless bassline that really clicks this refix into high gear. Take a peek at the tracklisting and preview the Plastic Spokes EP, after the jump.
1. Here We Stand
2. Riding With Your Plastic Spokes
4. First Chair
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player