Blacksmif "Golden Horn"
- Words: Cam Curran
We're introduced to "Golden Horn" by a heaving, descending sub tone, one which signals a certain type of artist has arrived. Getting support from such luminaries as Gilles Peterson and Mary Anne Hobbs is no small feat, and the work of London producer Blacksmif doesn't rely upon a simple formula. Swiping jazz progressions and longing vocals from vintage sources and re-assembling them to create a laid-back stepper's rhythm complete with congas is one way of beginning to describe Blacksmif's work on "Golden Horn," but when listening to this unreleased tune, it's the sumptuous sum of these disparate parts that hits hardest. On May 21, he'll will be releasing a new single, "Hoop Dreams" b/w "Microweight," for BlahBlahBlah, but you can stream the full release and a new Blacksmif mixtape now, after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player