Last Magpie "I Need U"
- Words: Taylor Fife
The mysterious Leeds-based producer who goes by Last Magpie has only one release using that moniker, but the quality of his EP, No More Stories (artwork above), suggests considerable experience under his other alias, which purportedly exists and is quite well known, but has yet to be revealed. No More Stories was released back in March via Hypercolour offshoot Losing Suki, and the title track was notably featured on Maya Jane Coles' DJ-Kicks mix. "I Need U," an exclusive cut that will not appear on any official releases, shows off Last Magpie's well-developed production skills in the form of a bouncy bit of UK garage. The song incorporates a subtle synth melody and soft chords over a 2-stepping drum pattern, accompanied by intriguing manipulations of Destiny Child's tender 2001 cover of "Emotion," originally written by the Bee Gees.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player