- Words: Ron Nachmann
- Label: Plus8
After a good string of releases for Ghostly International and Spectral Sounds, Ann Arbor's Matthew Dear brings a full-length of next-school minimal Detroit techno for Mr. Hawtin's Plus 8 venture. Hovering over the smacking claps, smeared voices and soda-bottle percussion that litter Dear's alternately burbling, murmuring and snappy arrangements is a potent, surround-sound bass sensibility that departs from the standard clipped low-end that minimalism usually offers up. Along with the slivered-sample approach he subtly integrates, Dear's bass-ic concerns bring a necessary, almost committed warmth to the proceedings in Eslaf, making it far more than decent driving music.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player